Friday, March 21, 2008

Knitting Tips & Notes

  • When knitting in the round, cast on one extra stitch. Then begin join by moving the last stitch from the right hand needle to the left hand needle. Knit or purl (matching pattern) the first two stitches together . Proceed according to pattern instruction.
  • I am not a big fan of knitting two socks on the same circulars. I seem to spend a lot of time untangling the yarn. Instead I knit each sock on it's own needles and just play catch up by taking turns knitting on each sock. This way if I should alter the pattern, the changes are still fresh in my mind and there is no lonley sock waiting for me to get around to making the other.
  • I like to wash natural fibers (wools, silk, etc.) shampoo and then add a little bit of hair conditional to the final rinse. This keeps the yarn smooth and it also smells nice.
  • When winding slinky yarns with a ball winder, I first place an empty toilet paper tube over the plastic cone. I then wind the yarn and store it with the cardboard tube. I either pre-cut a slash on the end the tube to secure the loose end of yarn or just tape to tack it down. When I am ready to knit with the yarn, I just pull the cardboard tube out and begin.

No comments: