Friday, April 18, 2008

Ready To Spin The Wheel

About two weeks ago I dusted off and oiled my spinning wheel. It had been sitting patiently in the corner of the the dinning room waiting for me to pay attention to it. It is now resting near the living room in a prominent place where I to walk past it during the day. Today I took it outside to take its picture during a sun break between the rain, hail and snow. It seems spring is still arm wrestling winter for seasonal dominance. I made a to make a trip to the fiber room, formally known as the upstairs attic, to choose some wool to spin. The spinning fiber rivals my yarn stash. I also refuse to count the pillow cases stuff with washed and tag wool. I did come across a tall basket of fiber I had dyed in different colors a few years back. Next step will be to card it. This will be fun.

The wheel is a Jensen Tina II that I bought about 10 years ago but could not remember the name of it. I look for the receipt in the file cabinet but could locate it. I perused dozens of internet yarn and spinning shops before I came across it. I think I will write the name of it on the under side of the wheel.

What kind of wheel do you have and what is your favorite fiber to spin? What is your least favorite?

1 comment:

temptressyarn said...

I have an Ashford Traditional and a Hitchhiker wheel. Love them both but for different reasons. I'd have to say that my (current--though it changes from time to time) favorite thing to spin is very clean loose locks such as Cotswold or Wensleydale, or Mohair. My least favorite fiber so far has been a blend of Merino/Viscose that I purchased (too much of). It is hard to draft, sticks to itself, difficult to control, etc. I keep carding it into other blends just so I can get rid of it a bit at a time and not waste it. It's truly awful.

Funny thing, my somewhat finished attic is also my "fiber room". It includes stash from the bottom of the stairs to the top and beyond...so much fiber and yarn, so little time! And I don't count fleeces as available fiber, either. Being in the attic, they make excellent 'insulation' for the house.