Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Hands Have It

Are rough hands a bane to your fiber preparation? Do you apply copious amounts of lotion to those pinkies before you pick up those needles? Then its time to get them in shape.

Here are some things that work for me:

Get Buffed The Big Way – Pick up a pair of those body buffing gloves from the beauty and bath section of your favorite store. Slip them on yours hands the next time you are in the bath. Add a little soap and buff your buff your whole body. By the time your are finished your hands will also have shed that dry skin.

Just The Hands Please – Wear a buffing glove on one hand, add soap, then buff the opposite hand. Switch hands and repeat.

Scrub Away – At one time I sold hand made soaps and bathing items which I had made myself. Her is a quick recipe for a hand and body scrub you can make yourself and with ingredients already on hand.

In a small bowl pour in 1/2 cup of salt or sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil (salad or olive) and a squeeze of dish soap. The idea is to make a paste, adjusting the salt/sugar and oil combination until you get a consistently you prefer. Place in a jar or plastic tub keep near a sink or shower. Just scoop out a desired amount and scrub that dry, dead skin away. Then rinse with water.

I prefer to use a finer grained sea salt or bakers sugar (not powered) as they are less coarse.

The Hard Way – This involves a trip to the hardware store. No kidding. Visit the area that has drywall supplies. Look for fine grit wet/dry sanding sponges. I keep one in the shower and use it wet and with soap to buff my feet, ankles, knees, elbows and knuckles once a week. The sponge adjusts to the contours of the body, rinses easily to clean, and seems to last forever. I just replaced my last one after three years.

I find I have less problems with that dry feeling which my skin used to get, especially in the winter months. If I keep up with the buffing regime, I find do not need lotion because I do not have rough skin. But, do use it because I like the silky feel and for the fragrance. Like the hand lotion my grandson gave me for Christmas. The lavender fragrance is to dye for. Thank you Chase.

Note: As with any abrasive item or substance, do not over zealously rub your skin. It can become irritated is you do so.

Update: Added the picture from lolcats just because it is cute.

No comments: