Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Swirl Shawl - Before Blocking



I finally was able to get back to this shawl on Sunday evening. I discovered that there were two and a half medallions left to complete. In a previous post, I wistfully thought there was only one left. A movie and a few episodes of Dexter later, thery were knit and the last row worth of loose ends were woven in.

I had bought the pattern and eight balls of yarn online. I did not realize at the time that this pattern required one ball per row and to keep it symmetrical, additions of two additional rows would be needed to keep the patten even. The pattern calls for five rows to make the shawl. I now have a total of seven rows and one ball left. I could order another ball, but I am at the point where I no longer want to knit on this project and prefer to move onto something new.

After reading some knitters notes on Raverly about this pattern, I discovered that some would have additional rows to make this a more desirable size. So maybe I now have the "perfect" shawl.

Update: The shawl has been hand washed and with a countless number of pins has been blocked out to measure 24" x 96". It is a warm day and it already seems to be dry. But just in case, I will let it sit overnight before unpinning.

9 comments:

Stone Hill Ranch said...

ooooo.... the swirls, the colors.... I could just knit my whole house with your creation :-) Thx for sharing!!

Ana Petrova said...

That looks lovely, but how in the world did you stretch it out to 96"?

Also what is the name of the pattern?

Happy Knitting,

Joanne said...

Hi Ana. I gently hand washed the shawl and uses lace wires and T-pins to block it to my desired shape. After it was dry and unpinned, it did relax some. I did add two extra rolls to make it wider. The name of the pattern is Swirl Shawl, which I purchased as a kit at knittingsoftware.com (plus 2 extra balls for the with addition).

Funny pictures said...

It is very good information. Thanks for sharing.

Madeleine said...

This is such a beautiful pattern!

Business logo design said...

These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post.

Ben said...

That's beautiful!


garbagecinderella.etsy.com

Sue said...

So pretty!!! Purple is my favorite color. I am trying to teach myself crocheting. But I am in the middle of a surprise Birthday Present for my BFF. I can not wait until her Birthday so I can post pictures. My projects are made with at least one Up-Cycled component.

Marx said...

Great post! That was interesting.I like your quality that you put into your post.Please do continue with more like this.

- Marx of web design